Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Influences Of The Story Of Moira: part 5

Greetings everyone,

Welcome to this multi-part series exploring the influences that went into creating the story of Moira's Lake. (I'm sure the title gave that away already).

I decided to break this essay into 8 short chunks, just because I know how much you love reading a long, intimidating block of evil words. (No one likes that. Seriously. No one. Books? Pfffffttt).

So, hopefully you'll enjoy this format better. (Probably not, knowing you. Which I do).


THE STORY SO FAR:
Part 0: What To Write?
Part 1: Eras In Time
Part 2: Ghost Stories
Part 3: Murder Mysteries
Part 4: Love Stories

PART 5: TWISTS

I love twists.

Just kidding! No I don't!

Duh duh DUH!!!!!!!

Yes I do!!

DUH DUH DUUUUHHHH!!!!!

I do admire those films and stories that really fuck with my head.

Stories that throw curve balls left and right.

I like to be surprised.

Just like all of the great heist movies and con game films, I love when the plot keeps throwing me for a loop, and just when I think I have it figured out, bam, another twist.

Though I never aimed to achieve that ridiculous level of mind-fuckery (that should be a word), I did want to infuse the story that would become Moira's Lake with several turns and twists.

For instance: stories that are told in multiple ways or from different perspectives, red herrings (i.e. things to throw you off track), dishonesty, and leading towards one conclusion, and then suddenly give them another.

...And another!!!

Duh Duh DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anything, that kind of storytelling just helps to keep things interesting for the reader. (In theory).

What else could I add as an influence into this melting pot of ideas?


To be continued in part 6: Fate...


-Niko

RECENT ARTICLES:

RECENT NEWS:

RECENT PODCASTS:

    blog comments powered by Disqus