Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Influences Of The Story Of Moira: part 0

Greetings everyone,

Welcome to this multi-part series exploring the influences that went into creating the story of Moira's Lake. (I'm sure the title gave that away already).

I decided to break this essay into 8 short chunks, just because I know how much you love reading a long, intimidating block of evil words. (No one likes that. Seriously. No one. Books? Pfffffttt).

So, hopefully you'll enjoy this format better. (Probably not, knowing you. Which I do).


PART 0 (INTRODUCTION): WHAT TO WRITE?

During the process of working on my second album, Empyreal Progeny, I began to toy with the idea of telling a story across several tracks of the album.

Though the album was not a full-blown concept record, it was, in many ways, a "themed" record, with a loose narrative of sorts broken up and divided amongst a few songs.

Once I had completed the album, I realized that I really loved the idea of telling a story through music, and I wanted to make my next album a full story from beginning to end.

But given that this would be my first foray into a concept album, what would I write about?

I mean, it could be anything, right?

How about obese space ninjas, with a fear of babies?

(I'll save that one for the next album).

As I slowly accumulated musical ideas that I tucked away for the 3rd album, I also began to see flashes in my mind. (No, not the nude kind. Well, okay. Occasionally that).

Sometimes colors, sometimes a person, sometimes a feeling, a place, an event. Usually random at first, but over time I started to piece it together.

To really begin to flesh out the potential story, I looked at many of the influences I want to pay homage to.

Namely, turnips.

... No wait...

To be continued in part 1: Eras In Time...

-Niko

RECENT ARTICLES:

RECENT NEWS:

RECENT PODCASTS:





    make custom gifts at Zazzle
    blog comments powered by Disqus