Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why A Digital Download?

Last week, I talked a bit about why we chose to release Moira's Lake for free. Today I will discuss the related question, "Why did you release it as a download only?"

I've actually received several emails from people excited about the album, who have asked me if we are going to be pressing actual CDs. It seems that, even in this day and age, there are still people who want to own a physical copy of their music (which I completely understand).

MONEY

The biggest reason that Moira's Lake is download only (at least for now), is money.

Pressing physical records costs money. Once you factor in the size of the booklet needed to accommodate the artwork and story (I don't want to skimp on content of course), we're looking at upwards of $3,500 to $4,000 depending on what other additional costs we include in the package.

Though I wish I did, I do not have four grand handy at the moment. I am a poor, near-broke musician, as are my band members, and that kind of money does not come easily for us.

I've told a few of the people who've inquired about physical CDs that if there is enough of a demand for them, and people feel like donating a few dollars here and there to help out, perhaps, over time, we can press physical CDs after all. But it would definitely take a while.

IN AN INSTANT

Another reason for doing the download method, is that people can get the album in a matter of seconds.

Gone are the days of waiting weeks to receive the CD in the mail (though, I admit, there is still something exciting about waiting for your package to come. Kind of like being a child at Christmas).

I really do like the fact that the music comes to you almost instantly. Right when you are most interested or curious about it, you can check it out then and there.

Gotta love that! (Well, you don't HAVE to...)

ENHANCED CONTENT

One thing I really enjoy about embracing this new distribution method, is that you can offer more content than you could fit into a standard CD package.

To offer the amount of story and art we included in Moira's Lake as a physical booklet would be extremely pricey (as I mentioned before), and also very bulky.

In a digital format, I am no longer restricted by size or page number constraints. If I want a 21 page booklet, I can do that (physical booklets must be done in increments of 4). If I want graphics that are 10 inches by 1 inch (just go with me on this), I can do that (though it would probably look stupid).

For future projects, I could offer video, and other multimedia content as part of the download. I could also offer more music than would fit on an 80 minute CD. Honestly, the possibilities are very inspiring, and I like having options.

MAKING THINGS ACCOMPLISHABLE

One more reason I chose to make this downloadable was simple because I could get the album done.

Towards the end of the cycle of Moira's Lake, I was becoming worried about how I would find the money to press CDs like I had done in the past.

With the economy being super awesome, it would be hard to find people who would lend me money for a project that is not very typical or mainstream. Which is understandable from a financial perspective.

Just when I felt that it would be impossible to actually release this album I had spent so long working on, it dawned on me to just embrace the new media rules.

Everything was digital these days. For better or worse, that's how the majority of people got their music, video and games. They just downloaded them.

Once I thought about it for a bit (I was still attached to the idea of having a physical product, just like many of you), I realized that going the digital route meant that I could now release the album.

It was actually possible.

It was under my control again.

CONCLUSION

I know downloads aren't the perfect solution either. Many of your would prefer having a hard copy of the album, over the digital version.

But as I've said, each version comes with its own plusses and minuses.

I supposed the ideal way to do it would be to have the resources to do both together, and maybe in time, that will become a reality.

But for now, until we somehow magically get the funds to press a bunch of CDs, enjoy the benefits that the new age of music distribution can offer you.

And pie. Enjoy some pie too.

NIKO
blog comments powered by Disqus