Monday, February 8, 2010

The Influences Of The Story Of Moira: part 2

Greetings everyone,

Welcome to this multi-part series exploring the influences that went into creating the story of Moira's Lake. (I'm sure the title gave that away already).

I decided to break this essay into 8 short chunks, just because I know how much you love reading a long, intimidating block of evil words. (No one likes that. Seriously. No one. Books? Pfffffttt).

So, hopefully you'll enjoy this format better. (Probably not, knowing you. Which I do).


THE STORY SO FAR:
Part 0: What To Write?
Part 1: Eras In Time


PART 2: GHOST STORIES

One of the first ideas that popped into my mind when I was beginning Moira's Lake, was the idea of going back into my past.

To me, there was a certain charm in using a piece of nostalgia as part of the influence in a brand new project.

That piece of nostalgia?

My childhood fascination with ghost stories.

Every time I went to the library as a kid I would immediately search for books on ghosts. My real intention was to find the illusive "true" ghost stories, but often I would settle on collections of classic supernatural folk lore.

And it's hard to go wrong with the old stories about ghost hitchhikers; or how about the young guy who meets a girl, goes out to a dance with her, and later finds out she died decades earlier?

I always loved those.

And there are many more great stories that get told over and over, all that really resonated with me at that age.

Remembering that childhood obsession, I smiled when I made the decision to use the traditional tales of ghosts as a part of the story.

To be continued in part 3: Murder Mysteries...

-Niko

RECENT ARTICLES:
RECENT NEWS:
RECENT PODCASTS:



    make custom gifts at Zazzle
    blog comments powered by Disqus